Thursday, June 12, 2008

Keep it or give it to the babies


281_8187_copy, originally uploaded by carinh.

A couple of days ago we went through another round of "keep it or give it the babies that need it?" toy purge with Riley. Her toys were starting to get out of control, I had just brought home another round of garage sale finds, and her birthday is coming up, so we decided now would be a good time. We have a small house and no playroom, so this is the only way we can keep things under control. Riley is great at this. She's able to decide whether or not she wants to keep the toy or give it away and she almost never changes her mind once she's decided. When going through her downstairs toys, she's also allowed to choose "take to my room", but knows that means something from her room has to go.
Me on the other hand, I'm terrible at this. Even though I'm the one enforcing the toy purge rule, x number in x number out, It's still painful for me. For one, I've always been a pack rat. I like to keep everything, but slowly Doug is digging me out of that hole. Two, I feel horrible when Riley chooses to give away a toy that a family member or friend has given her as a present. I always want to keep those. I just feel like they shouldn't be given away and I don't want to hurt someone's feelings by them knowing that we got rid of that toy they spent so much time picking out, and giving her. It's so much easier with clothing gifts, she just outgrows them and that's it, time to move on, but with toys it's different. Sure, she can outgrow them, but it's a much greyer line. I found myself struggling several times in this last purge because so many of the toys were gifts. I insisted we keep them even though Riley had made her choice and as many times as I continued to ask her about the same toy hoping she would change her mind, not once did she. I guess I just have to remind myself that even though its time for these toys to go, Riley LOVED playing with them and got much joy out of them during her time with them and hope that the friend or family member that gave them to her understands and thinks the same. However, I have found a way to circumvent my loss of the battle by suggesting that certain toys (ones I'm having problems letting go of ) should make the trek to Grandma and Papa's house along with a toy storage unit and wala Riley has a toy collections at their house to play with. This was unanimously agreed to by Daddy and Roo withouht much fight, so a few of the toys you see here will find a new home very soon much to the surprise of the homeowners, I'm sure. Sneaking one I am, aren't I?



UPDATE: PS- "Give to the babies that need them" really in all fairness means gather in a big bag and put in the basement until Doug insists I actually DO something with them. Remember I am a pack rat after all. Don't tell Riley! :)

No comments: