Monday, July 28, 2008

Is that coming soon?

We went to see Batman:Dark Knight last weekend and took Riley with us. She loved the movie, but more important was something interesting she did during the movie. It happened during the trailers. The trailer for The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor came on and Riley sat there wide eyed ooh and ahh through the whole thing.

When it was over she whispers to me: "Is that coming soon?"
I said "yes, do you want to see it"
To which she whispered: "Yes I do"

Okay a three year old understanding that it was a trailer and wanting to know basically when the movie comes out. That just blows my mind.

In other news its rated Rated PG-13 for adventure action and violence, so I guess that means she won't be able to see it. Who knows what her friends in Preschool might be learning on the playground because she got watch this movie? I got into a "discussion" on the two peas message board about young children in pg-13 and R rated movies. Let's just say I was in the minority on this issue. After arguing that it was a parent's right to decide what their child can and can't see and a parent's right to bring their children to the movie theather anytime they want as long as the child behaves and is respectful of others, I decided to ask my Mom what she thought because I don't ever remember a time when I wasn't able to see a movie I wanted to see. She told me other than some R rated movies when I was very young, they never restricted what I saw. The key to what she told me though was that we ALWAYS watched the movies together. I think that's the main thing, watch with your kids so you can discuss, answer questions, and explain things.

So Riley, you obviously want to see this movie, You are WELL under the PG-13 rating for this movie, but guess what? We are so there on August 8th! (I don't even want to see it that much and didn't even know it was coming out, but how could I say no to those big eyes and all that ooh and ahhh during the trailer?)

No comments: