Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy 60th, I mean 59th Birthday Mom!


282_8271_copy, originally uploaded by carinh.

For a few weeks now I've been talking about going home for Father's Day/Mom's Birthday. They were on the same day this year. We usually don't make the trek home for this holiday, but this one was special. Mom was having a milestone birthday, 60. I talked with my brother and he was going home to. We talked about it being her 60th birthday. The day before we left to go home, he told me about this really cool hardcover book he got Mom about 1948 as I was headed to Factory Card Outlet to get her balloons and lots of fun 60th birthday stuff to make her day special. Heading home after purchasing all the stuff I had a major freak out moment, "Oh crap, is it really her 60th birthday?" I start to think to myself, Dad was born in 47 (I know this because it's part of yahoo id). Mom's two years younger than him, no wait one year. Oh CRAP! So I immediately call my bro who is already at our parent's house and ask him:

Me: Mom is turning 60, right?
Bro: Yeah, why?
Me: I had a freak out moment, all the sudden wondering is she?
Bro: Dad, how old is Mom going to be?
Dad: 59
Me: No, he's messing with us. right?
Bro: Nice job, sis. Great misinformation.
Me: Well, you never corrected me
Bro: You're the one that's supposed to be on top of this stuff.
Me: Oh Crap. Well at least we figured it out before we presented her with all this 60th Birthday stuff.

I'm officially the worst daughter in the world. I felt like a complete jackass. How could I screw something up that bad? It has nothing to do with her looking older than she is that's for sure. It has everything to do with my terrible sense of time. I was sure that dad's 60th was 2 years ago. I was convinced that my Bro or my Dad would rat me out for sure, so I figured I better fess up before they did. I called her that night to fess up and she laughed and preceeded to pick on me all weekend. Later, my brother says, "Why did you tell her? I wasn't going to say anything?"

At least it made her 59th birthday memorable.

No comments: